Friday, June 3, 2016

How to read the Bible in first person

The grammatical term 'first person' is partially defined as; "...the viewpoint of a character writing or speaking directly about themselves."

This is the way that I urge you to read, and try to comprehend, the Bible by using a simple technique.  Whenever, and wherever, you read the words you or thou and replace it with I.

As an example, let's imagine that we are reading or studying the Ten Commandments.  The first Commandment listed says; "Thou shall have no other gods before me."  As you are reading it read it as; "I shall not have any other gods before God."

Warning!  God warns us against changing his words to fit our own personal agendas or purpose.  Which is why I pray that I would not change or suggest to other to change, to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment