Sunday, October 2, 2016

Prayers of Motherhood: Back Pain and Slight Fever

I sat in my Nurse Practitioner's office complaining of lower back pain and a slight fever.  She immediately ordered blood and urine test.  A few moments later she reentered the exam room  and asked me an odd question: "Are you late?"  Misunderstanding the question I immediately answered: "No, I have the day off from work."

She lets out a little laugh and said: "No, I am talking about your period."

I told her that I was not sure because it wasn't time for it.  So she told me that if it was late to consider taking a pregnancy test and come to see her.  I said okay and left her office.

More than four weeks passed before I remembered my Nurse Practitioners instructions while I was in the drug store waiting for another prescription to be filled.  Becoming tired sitting on the fold out chairs I took a walk down the feminine products aisle and began comparing prices on pregnancy tests.

The next morning I stood in the bathroom holding a pregnancy test stick with a bright red plus sign showing in the window. 

Still in a state of shock I said a four word prayer: "Lord, I am pregnant!"

The following week my Nurse Practitioner confirmed the results.  I was about to become a mother at the age of thirty nine.

Feeling stressed out about the change that was about to occur in my life, at some point, I prayed.

"Lord, I am about to be a mother.  becoming responsible for someone else's life when I have been only responsible for mine.  I am so afraid and confused.  You know what I need Lord.  Please help and guide me according to your will.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen."

With my hormones raging the stress and apprehension did not ease up over night.  However, day by day I was able to handle whatever surprises the first trimester threw at me.  Or so I thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment